RE: Engine first start question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine first start question
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 09:37:43 -0700
> I'm ready to start my rebuilt 4A engine for the first time but I
> won't have
> the valve cover back from the chrome guy for another week.  Am I
> asking for
> an engine bay full of oil if I start it without the valve cover, or is the
> flow to the head low enough that it won't be a problem?

If you just let the engine idle, you'll only get a few drops flung around.
Anything above idle, and you can expect everything to get a pattern of oil
dots.  It's not the flow itself that's the problem, but as the oil runs down
the rocker, the motion near the tip is violent enough to fling off droplets.

Randall