Re: Change is sad [but....]

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Change is sad [but....]
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 18:00:03 +0100
In article <22157B45.26BF5782.0DA3C552@aol.com>, ZoboHerald@aol.com
writes
>...and I'll throw in MY two cents' worth!

Oh, what the heck.   Here's my tuppenny-worth too...

Whatever Triumph we drive, it is either a potential or an actual
collector's item (well, OK, I can't imagine anyone ever drooling over an
Acclaim, but you know what I mean...).   When it rolled off the
production line, it was perfectly capable of being driven on a daily
basis without causing any concerns about safety or reliability (we're
not talking about Ferraris here, you understand).   This being the case,
proper maintenance (and rectifying all the bodges made by previous
owners over the decades) will provide you with a safe, reliable and
enjoyable motor vehicle.   It will also provide you with the warm glow
of knowing that you are keeping a classic on the road, and that you are
not destroying part of our collective heritage.

If you are less than happy about some of the "features" (in the
computerese sense of the word) - like overheating, dim headlights,
absent CD-player and so on - by all means pop in a larger radiator, add
a thermostatically-controlled fan, upgrade to halogens, drop in a
CD-player.   But please don't do anything irreversible, and please hang
on to the parts you remove.   The next owner might want an unmodified
car. With a very little effort, he can have one, if you are careful in
what you do.

If, on the other hand, you want to soup the car up a little - dropping
the suspension, stretching the chassis, adding a 5-litre engine,
restyling the bodywork and so on, why pick a nice car like a Triumph to
modify?   Why not start with a car that no-one will ever love, and turn
it into your dream machine?

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"