RE: TR 3 Thrust Washers

To: "John W. Hartley" <jhartley@frognet.net>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR 3 Thrust Washers
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 20:22:58 -0700
> Found the 4 washers in the oil pan.  Surfaces do not appear to be
> damaged.  Can I replace these without removing the engine?

Yes, if the surfaces are really OK.  Remove the center main cap and roll the
upper pair of inserts into place.  Hold the other pair to the cap and
replace the cap.  Snug the bolts up and double check the clearance.  If all
is well, torque the bolts to spec and replace the pan.

I would seriously consider replacing the rod and main bearings while you're
in there, which can also be done without removing the engine.  Only remove
one main cap at a time, so the crank is always supported at two points, and
you'll have to use some goop where the front plate gasket tears when you
remove the front sealing block.  Obviously, you'll also need the cork
gaskets for the front sealing block, and new felt for the rear main cap.
Usually the main caps will come off with a bit of wiggling.  However, last
time I did this, I made up a 'puller' that pressed on the pan gasket flange
on either side, and had bolts into the caps to pull them off.  Worked quite
well, although I wish I'd used heavier stock (1/2" square mild steel wasn't
strong enough with 1/4" holes through it).

Randall