RE: TR3A stay rods

Subject: RE: TR3A stay rods
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 04:12:18 -0700
> Tonight, while doing a totally unrelated job, I happened to
> notice that I do
> not have the two "stay rods" that run from the frame to the crank handle
> hole on the front apron (Moss part #???, illustration #53 on page
> 56 of the
> Adobe TR3 catalog).
>
> What do these do?  Are they important? Does anyone have a spare set for
> sale? :)

Ken :

When you hand-crank the engine, there is a lot of sideways force transmitted
to the guide.  The stay rods transmit that force to the frame, keeping the
guide from ripping out of the sheet metal.

If you never hand crank the engine, then the stay rods are probably not
necessary.  However on my car (which had a guide with no stays when I got
it) the bolt hole for the guide is cracked, which I suspect indicates the
stays are needed to keep the guide from vibrating and eventually work
hardening the sheet metal.

Randall