Pesky oil leak

To: <triumphs-digest@autox.team.net> teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g3FFmRw06312
Subject: Pesky oil leak
From: "Rich Scotti" <Rich.Scotti@rebis.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:45:13 -0700
List,
I'm suffering a nasty problem with an oil leak in my '66 4A. Last week I pumped
over 3 qts of oil on the highways of Northern Cal before I found out about it.
Luckily no loss in oil pressure!

It appears that the "banjo" fitting that connects the oil pressure pipe to the
filter mount is leaking at higher RPM's. Its fine from idle up to about 2k.
Whenever I get over 3k RPM it spits out oil and coats the underside of the car
(and all the cars behind me I assume!).

Heres what I tried so far without success.
- Crack on the retaining nut at the end of the stud (30-40#)
- take the whole thing apart and put it together with high-temp gasket sealer
on all surfaces.
- Replace the nylok nut with an official "banjo" nut with the flange included.

Before I put JB Weld around the whole thing in desperation, maybe the good
folks on this list have some ideas?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Rich Scotti