RE: TR6 problems with reverse

To: QAGroup@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6 problems with reverse
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 09:47:36 -0800
> I've got a problem with reverse on my 1973 TR6.  Approx 1/3 of
> the time when shifting into reverse the gears do not engage and
> the stick shift gets stuck in the reverse gate.  Some fiddeling
> around with the tail end of the linkages frees up the stick.  1/3
> of the time reverse will not engage but the stick does not get
> stuck.  1/3 of the time reverse engages and everything is fine.
>
> Has anyone ever experienced this?  Any ideas if this is a linkage
> issue, fork issue, synchro?

Randy :

Haven't experienced it (don't even drive a TR6), but IMO if the shift lever
is getting 'stuck', at least part of the problem has to be in the top cover,
probably in the shift interlock.  That's the two ball bearings and a round
pin inside the top housing, that ensure only one gear can be engaged at a
time.

In any case, you're going to have to take it off to inspect, and since the
top cover can come off without pulling the gearbox ...

Randall