TR6 Rear Wheel Cylinders

To: "Cliff Davies" <c_davies@sympatico.ca>
Subject: TR6 Rear Wheel Cylinders
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 09:07:52 -0500
Cc: "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Cliff Davies"
>Could anyone please give me instructions on how to install the dust cover
and
three clips
that hold the wheel cylinder to the back plate. I just bought a new kit and
the old was not installed correctly. I have followed the Haynes manual but
there must be a trick so that the cover lives through the process.
Thanks
Cliff
73 TR6
<

Cliff, having just installed these on my TR3 this past weekend (it's been 6
years since I did this on the TR6) it is fairly straight forward but there
are a few tricks.

1) First of all, you can install two fo the clips and still pull the
cylinder away from the backing plate far enough to install the parking
brake lever - and it is much easier to install the two clips that install
from that side with the lever out of the way.

2) Smear the clips with a thin layer of grease so that they will slide into
place more easily - and they will not rust quite so quickly.

3) Test position the cylinder and parking brake lever to become familiar
with how they fit.

Procedure:

1) Position the wheel cylinder in place and slide the large clip with the
two folded up tips into place from the parking brake lever end with the
tips pointing out.  Slide the smallest clip in from the same end with its
tips out as well.

2) Pull the cylinder away from the backing plate far enough to slide the
parking brake lever pivot pins into the recess provided for it.  Make sure
it is facing the right way.  Slide the boot over the lever and fit the
rectangular loop around the lower clip.

3) Slide the remaining clip from the opposite direction until the two tips
on the lower clip engage the relieved areas in this last clip and
everything will be locked into place.  C'est fini!

Good luck

Dave Massey
57 TR3 (freshly rebuilt wheel cylinders)
71 TR6 (done 6 years ago)
80 TR8 (totally different)