Re: Now WHAT is it?

To: "Adrian" <dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk>, "triumph25pi" <triumph25pi@yahoogroups.com>, "triumph_herald" <triumph_herald@egroups.com>, "triumph_cars" <triumph_cars@egroups.com>, "triumph_2000" <triumph_2000@egroups.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "2000- Register" <2000-Register@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Now WHAT is it?
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 02:42:57 +0100
>Just had another thought on this. If you built a car, as I mentioned
in my
>last mail, the new shell would not have any chassis number at all. So
what
>do you do? think of a number? Well, as one who did build a car from
parts at
>this time, that is exactly what one did. Customs and excise, police
etc.
>only wanted a number. So it follows that to be on the safe side a
later
>chassis number could be used beyond the normal production numbers.

That's just what I thought at a VERY early stage and long before all
this corres started. Facilitated you'll agree by the fact that as a
Triumph dealer, the previous owner (the dealer) was perfectly able to
order blank commission plates to stamp a replacement number. He'd have
to do this, wouldn't he, if the car he was 'repairing' had had a
notional "sickening crunch just where the plate was mounted  and the
original plate had been damaged beyond reasonable legibility?"
Of course he would - and no-one would know.
In fact, he might have been a real smart-arse and worked out the
average number of estates made each year and then extrapolated that
forwards into the period between cessation of production and his
"rebuild." His calculations may well have dropped him right in the
middle of the MP 17000 commission number series that nearly everyone
agrees never existed - or for that matter, the 6000 odd behind it as
well. I'm more than casually curious to get my hands on the V5 for a
quick squint.

Cheers, John