Re: Jumpy Tachometer/Speedo

To: "Freeman, Noah" <Noah.Freeman@Bain.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Jumpy Tachometer/Speedo
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 19:54:03 -0400
Cc: "Lily Childress \(E-mail\)" <childres@fas.harvard.edu>
> Ive always figured that my jumpy speedo was due to the Heisenberg
> uncertainty principle- you can never know both exactly where an object
> (Charlie the TR-4) is and how fast it is going...I figured that since
there
> was very little play in Charley's seats, leaving me in very close contact
> with the car (hence always knowing where it is) that therefore it is
> impossible to know exactly how fast charlie is going (hence the jumpy
speedo
> as the car is going "many speeds at once").

I swapped a speedo once in a Willys jeep, and I'm not sure what happened- it
worked for about a mile, then it started spinning ala Bugs Bunny cartoons!
(There was no stop pin to hit) It just wound up going faster and faster,
till one day it just broke entirely. Kinda fun to watch the passengers eyes
as it moved tho...
Scott