Jumpy Tachometer/Speedo

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Jumpy Tachometer/Speedo
From: "Freeman, Noah" <Noah.Freeman@Bain.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:46:38 -0400
Cc: "Lily Childress (E-mail)" <childres@fas.harvard.edu>
Ive always figured that my jumpy speedo was due to the Heisenberg
uncertainty principle- you can never know both exactly where an object
(Charlie the TR-4) is and how fast it is going...I figured that since there
was very little play in Charley's seats, leaving me in very close contact
with the car (hence always knowing where it is) that therefore it is
impossible to know exactly how fast charlie is going (hence the jumpy speedo
as the car is going "many speeds at once").

Further extension is that since the ratio of engine RPM to roadspeed is both
fixed and known, that therefore the RPM must be unknowable in the same way
that the speed is slightly mysterious.  THat is clearly why your tachometer
jiggles, at least when in gear.  Therefore, if you want a tachometer that
sits still better, you need to be less knowledgeable about where the car is
at any point (which will let you measure hte speed more exactly), so you
need squishier seats (to allow more play between butt and car).  Try using
the ones out of my grandfathers late 80s cadillac.

Im going to use this on the next cop that pulls me over.

;-)

> The tack in my Spit MK IV wanders rather than sitting at a nice
> firm point.  It isn't
> noticable when accelerating but only at idle or when holding at a
> given RPM.  Any
> diagnoses?

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential information
intended only for the person(s) named.  Any use, distribution,
copying or disclosure by any other person is strictly prohibited.
If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender
by reply e-mail and then destroy the message.  Opinions, conclusions,
business of Bain & Company shall be understood to be neither given
nor endorsed by the Company.  When addressed to Bain clients, any
information contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms and conditions
in the governing client contract.