Oil ratings (sorta non-LBC)

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil ratings (sorta non-LBC)
From: Rob Christopher <robc@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:21:44 -0500
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can explain how the ratings system of oils
works.  I want to change the transmission oil in my girlfirend's 1993
Protege (this is the non-LBC part) and the manual calls for 75W80 for
cold weather and 80W90 in warmer weather.  The only 75W80 I can find
locally is fully synthetic and costs $15/litre (about $10US/quart)!

75W90 seems to be readily available at every auto parts store, so is
this close enough?  What do the xxWyy ratings mean?  Does the xx rate
viscousity/colour/temperature? What is the yy rating?

Rob in Ottawa

P.S. I use 80W90 in my TR6 transmission, just to have some LBC content,
and start the "What oil should I use in my transmission" thread.   8^}

///
///