Re: TR3a frame questions - soon pls

To: "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Subject: Re: TR3a frame questions - soon pls
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 12:11:38 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Well the frame is all loaded in the "Triumph Support Vehicle" and off to the
>painter.  I noticed that on the 60deg angle that brace the drivers side
>shock tower there seems to be two little brackets on the brace.  They seem
>to have broken off on mine.  Does anyone know what these are for and could
>give me details/pictures so the frame guy could possibly fabricate new
>pieces.

David --

These brackets are used to attach the fuel pipe and fuel shutoff valve, IIRC.

Haven't got a digital camera handy, so no pics.  Sorry!

What I do have is a very accessible TR3 frame, though, so I went out
and took some measurements.  I assume you can tell where the brackets
are welded, so I didn't measure how far up on the brace they are.
I'm sure that exact precision in that is not required - if you'd like
those measurements, though, please let me know.

My car is a TR3, not a 3A, but I don't think there's any difference
in this respect.

Upper bracket is straight (no twist).  It has an open slot in the
end, centered from side to side.  This makes it look something like a
two-pronged fork.
Total length: 2 1/4"
Extends from frame: 1 1/4"
Width: 1 1/8"
Thickness: 3/32"
Slot width: 9/16" (more like a generous 1/2")
Slot depth: 3/4"

Lower bracket has a twist to it; it is rotated so that the frontmost
edge (toward the apron end of the car) comes up, even more so than
the angle of the frame  brace.  It might help to think of it as a
lifting wing as the car runs down the road.  It has a hole in the end
away from the frame, and the outer end is rounded (no corners).
Total length: 3 1/2"
Extends from frame: 2 1/2"
Width: 1 1/8"
Thickness: 3/32"
Hole diameter: 3/8"
Edge of hole is 3/8" from end of bracket, so the hole center would be
9/16" from end of bracket (  3/8 + ((3/8)/2)  ).

HTH,
Dan
--
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L, now with an O!  Undergoing frame-off restoration
begun 9/99.  Currently awaiting warm weather and funds.

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U, with an O.  In need of a comprehensive
restoration (again); will probably become a Spit6 or a Spit8.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!

///
///