Re: High idle (1970 TR6)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: High idle (1970 TR6)
From: "Nelson A. Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 14:45:55 -0500
I just rebuilt the carbs on my 1970 TR6 (stock strombergs with "fixed"
needles).  They were really crudded up  - most of the internal passages
completely blocked with grunge.

It started fine when the carbs were refited BUT (there's always a but!) I
can't get the idle below 2700 rpm, even with the linkage disconnected and
the
idle screws backed all the way out.

What could I have done wrong here?

Thanks,
Steve
-----------------
Steve,

It sounds like the fast idle is misadjusted.   With the cold start valve
(choke) off, make sure the fast idle asjustment screw is not touching the
cam on the cold start valve.

If this is not the problem, then the throttle spindle might be sticking.
With the linkage disconnected, try to close the throttle further by grasping
the fast idle adjustment screw and pulling up.

Nelson Riedel
Granville, OH
76 TR6 (at paint shop)
68 TR250 (next project - new paint)
70 TR6 (all the parts in a pile ready to assemble)

///
///