Re: TR7 BFH#36 - Lug Centric?

To: Herald948@aol.com, Eganb@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: TR7 BFH#36 - Lug Centric?
From: GreenBugeye@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:01:14 EST
In a message dated 1/17/01 2:54:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Herald948@aol.com writes:

> I don't know whether TR7 wheels are hub-centric, lug-centric, ego-centric or
> what. :-) But original Minilite wheels did take a special shanked lug nut
> (yes, I think your descriptive term was correct). My gut reaction is to
> say: a. You don't want to rely on a taper; and b. check the "Monster List"
> from team.net. There is (hopefully still) a place that had NOS lug nutes
> for Minilites -- proper shank, depth and the washers to go with them. If
> that pans out, I'd contact Minilite and see if they can't supply them.
> Losing a wheel ain't sumpin' to mess 'round with, IMHO!
>
> --Andy Mace

Wheels do come off!

A few years back, my driver's side outer front wheel bearing on the TR3A
seized without warning (no noise no grumbling, no typical wheel bearing
indications) and the axle sheared off at speed, taking with it the beautiful
chrome wire wheel the PO had installed, the tire, the spindle, the hub, the
brake rotor and the caliper (which broke at the ears).  As you may know, the
rear frame in the TR3A goes under the rear axle, not over, so when the front
wheel evacuated the wheel well (destroying the fender in the process), the
car dropped to the frame rail.  Unfortunately, the passenger side rear wheel
lifted nicely into the air so I was unable to use engine braking to slow the
car, and the brake caliper had ripped the brake line off on it's way out, so
I also had no brakes (but a nice spray of paint-eating fluid down the side of
the car).  I was going about 50 mph, the steering box on the 3A was, at the
time, a bit out of spec, and the two of us, me and my 3A, were sliding toward
a big hill with no guardrail and a big ravine to the right.  As I was getting
ready to roll out onto the highway and ghost ride her into the valley, I saw
a driveway entrance, and managed to scrub off some speed against the curb and
crank her into the drive just as the hill was beginning.  The frame rail hit
the curb and she came to a sudden stop.

I found the wheel and tire (and rotor and caliper and hub, etc., etc.) about
a half mile back about 50 feet off the road.  Miraculously, the wheel and
tire were unscathed.

Granted, this isn't a lug nut (or in my case, a knock off) story, but the
moral is: Pay attention to your wheel bearings!  They're cheap to replace as
long as you do it before they fail catastrphically and ruin your fender,
paint, frame, etc., etc.

I learned the hard way but, no blood, no foul!

Chris Eck
59 Bugeye
59 TR3A
(ex) 71 Midget