Carbs and more Long!

To: "triumphs-digest@autox.team.net" <triumphs-digest@autox.team.net>, "6pack-digest@autox.team.net" <6pack-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carbs and more Long!
From: Robert Greene <rgreene@whoi.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:54:15 -0500
Hi Fellow lisTeRs & 6Packers:
    As a member of New England Triumph. I have the opportunity to attend
(Saturday) a club sponsored "tech session" on Rebuilding carburetors.
The offering shop is Tally Ho Melrose Ma.! I will be allowed to bring my
carbs from my 76 TR6. (Thanks Bob Lang).
    In anticipation of this session I have ordered a "master rebuild
kit" (Moss). Before I placed my order,  I was told by a friend to order
Gross Jets? I talked to a couple  suppliers that recommended that I stay
away from these gross jets.
    My question is. Why do two people recommend them. Then two supply
houses say "stay away". Is there a coincidence that these two supply
houses do not stock gross jets?
    What is the real deal?
Also part of my carb rebuild, I wanted to finish what age & the PO had
started. I have a bad air distribution  rail, air pump and missing
emission stuff. (Maintaining the charcoal filter canister & hoses).
Rather than to replace the costly rusty air rail can I,
A: simply remove the air distribution rail? Air pump is already gone.
    If so I would like to fill the threaded holes in the exhaust
manifold. I would like to use a allen head type of plug. Any one done
this? If so, do you know the thread size?
B: Can I also remove the EGR valve?
    If so is it just a simply plug at the block and the Intake manifold?

    What do I do with the small vacuum line that runs from the rear
carb. to the EGR valve.
    Should I anticipate problems with this plan?
C: Where can I purchase a "Posidrive" Screwdriver for the ZS carbs?

    Also Andy/Jonmac & Co. E-mail me off list. I will fill you in on the
GT6 Comm # and ect ect... I have the 73 GT6 home now. Appears to just
need some love. Still looking for the crazy "D". I will be applying my
new carb. knowledge to the GT6 also.
Bob Greene
76 TR6
73 Spitfire
73 GT6
Member
CCBCC, VTR & NET.
    Writing my overdue membership dues. A bargain while I learn more
about my carbs. Gotta Love it Eh?

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
rgreene.vcf]