tr6

To: tigerpb@ids.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: tr6
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 17:05:26 EST
Paul,
you need to get rid of the inner shaft (undo from engine compartment) and
pull out from your seat side. You will need some sort of pulling device to
remove the bushing (rubber encased steel and nylon config). I used the shaft
itself from the opposite end to remove each bushing (like a pool cue). You
might be able to do that without dissassembley but you would have less room
in engine compartment to work in and the lower bushing would restrict angling
the rod a bit. Theoretically you could remove both upper and lower bushings
while column in place..but it might take some hammering which might be a
little rough on structural mounts - I'd say it's worth a try - if it's
getting risky pull out the column.
I just did mine a few weeks ago and since the bushings are cheaply made,
(some cars use ball bearings-these are rubber and nylon) I doubled them up,
ie; I cut the two rubber nubs off the first ones and pushed them in past the
normal postion and then inserted the next two with nubs intact (the nubs pop
out the two holes on sides of outer column.

I got one solid feeling steering column now - which won't wear out any time
soon.

Carl Sereda
'63 TR4 since '74 - CT22326L