Re: Is Triumph coming back?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Is Triumph coming back?
From: Will <tr6@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 13:39:05 +0000
Jonmac wrote:

>  That's a lot of
>money being invested - and quite a lot of space, isn't it? Possibly
>enough space to one day see a TR9, Messerfire or perhaps a Riley
>Adelphi, Imp, Lynx ... ?

As ever a well informed and interesting post; sadly I find it hard to
believe that BMW will ever bring back the Triumph badge, but its fun
to speculate.

The Messerfire sounds promising, I've long thought that of all the
Brit classics the Spit has the greatest potential for updating,
together with the real possibility of a niche market. You can buy a
brand new Big Healy because they had a timeless beauty & the
originals are so highly valued. The Spit has that same enduring
beauty, but a re-launched car could only be economical if volume
sales were possible. Get it right & I believe those sales are
possible, get it wrong & expect some high level job vacancies at
BMW...

Incidentally, my girlfriend has a colleague whose husband has just
found a Spit he wants to buy on the net. He's not from the UK & just
fell in love with the car, no LBC background, no mechanical skills,
not even sure if he could insure & keep the car in London....He just
wants it. That's the enduring strength of the Spits design, I doubt
the guy even realizes they are such practical classics, with running
costs comparable with a mini. Come to think of it, that's what
happened to me - I didn't care for sports cars age 20, then a friend
of my brother turns up in a Spit, few months later I've bought one!

I know the Miata/MX5 has grabbed this market, but they just ain't
Spits (more like Elans really). Like I said - fun to speculate....

--
William Davies
1975 TR6 PI