FWD: RE: Leaky Spin-On Oil Filter

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: FWD: RE: Leaky Spin-On Oil Filter
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 09:18:57 -0500
>===== Original Message From "James Fowler" <jfowler@mail.southeast.cc.nc.us>
=====
>I have installed an oil spin-on adapter and filter on my '60 TR3A.  It has a
fairly heavy leak that is dripping from the end of the filter.  What are the
other experiences with this system leaking?
>Additionally which Puralator oil filter fits this unit?
>Thanks!

James,

There is lot discussion here about all spin on adapters leaking.  Mine does
not but it did when I first installed it.  I got my kit from Moss.  I was not
impressed with the quality of the castings and the machining that was done.

The first thing to do is find out where it is leaking from.  Cleaning
everything off very well and  run the engine for while and get under and look
for the telltale first trace of the leak. Take it for a short drive if needed.

Mine leaked at the junction of the adapter to the Puralator head.  The outer
ring gaskets supplied with the unit were not fat enough to close the gap that
the unit had built into it by design.   I solved it by shopping through the
many ring gaskets I had on hand from new and old cartridge filters from the
old setup.  I used the thickest one I could find and reinstalled it and all is
well.

This does mean to imply that my TR4 does not leak oil.  My car is well within
factory spec on this score and produces oil from places as yet undiagnosed.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L soon to be "O" - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn
E-Mail: sanborn@net1plus.com