Re: TR4 wheel track.

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 wheel track.
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 14:59:10 -0600
Phil --

I remember thinking the track looked narrow when you were here in Des
Moines this past summer ... but since I'd never really looked at
TR4's before, I thought it was normal.

Perhaps, though, what you have is a TR3/A/B rear axle, which is 3"
narrower than the TR44 axle.

According to the Moss catalog I have (TRI-12, p. 95), the axles
differ in that the TR3 unit is 41" from flange to flange (inside),
with a distance of 2" from the flange to the spring mounting pad,
while the TR4 unit is 44" from flange to flange and has a distance of
3.5" from the flange to the spring mounting pad.

Could also be a TR2/early TR3 axle, which is identifiable by the
square, four-bolt flange -- as compared to the round, six-bolt flange
on the 3's and 4's.  It has the same track as the later TR3 axles, I
believe.  It's also a somewhat troublesome unit.

It's certainly an easy swap to make -- one could probably change the
entire unit inside of two hours.  Perhaps somebody had rear axle
trouble with it at one time, and replaced with a not-quite-correct
unit ... after all, at first glance, they'd be hard to tell apart.

Hope this is helpful ...

Dan

--
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L, now with an O!  Undergoing frame-off restoration
begun 9/99.  Currently awaiting warm weather and funds.

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U, with an O.  In need of a comprehensive
restoration (again); will probably become a Spit6 or a Spit8.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!