TR4 wheel track.

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 wheel track.
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 14:34:50 -0600
Cc: <pethier@isd.net>
It says right here in the book that the front track ("tread") of the TR4 is
one inch larger than the rear.

My early TR4, which has appeared to me to be original, seems to have a much
greater difference than that.  It has wire wheels, and apparently always has
had.  I have a new-car picture taken Christmas 1962 which shows what appears
to be the same 48-spoke wheels with wide whitewalls.

Here is what the car looks like now.

In front:
The knockoff cap is completely outside the wheel-arch plane.  The outside
plane of the wheel rim looks to be about even with the wheel-arch plane.

In back:
The knockoff cap is completely inside the wheel-arch plane.  The outside
plane of the wheel rim looks to be well underneath the car.

Did you ever see anything else like this?

Do you know of any common mods that can cause this?  (I know of some similar
things in Spridgets with which I won't bore you.)

The 1962 picture seems to show that the front and rear tires sit in the
wheelwells the same, but I really can't tell.

I may be going to knock-off alloys (Vicky Brit has them on sale) and I'd
like to start off with some idea that the car was stock and that the wheels
will fit.

"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster"
- 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.