TR 4 front suspension.

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR 4 front suspension.
From: John Howard <trjhhow7@home.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 21:23:55 -0500
Listers:

I've begun a rebuild of the front suspension on the 64 TR4, with one
side mostly disassembled. I managed to remove the spring without
destroying myself, and discover that it measures just under 11 inches
long, has wire diameter of 12.5 + mm, and 6 + coils. It is also painted
black. These specs don't match any of the possibilities given in the
workshop manual, so I asssume it's an aftermarket of some kind and is
stiffer even than the competition grade listed in the manual....it
certainly is longer. Assuming the other side is a match, do you think
these are a serious "over" spring for this car?

Second, the rebound rubber and bracket is missing from the left side.
Does anyone have an old bracket lying around that I might liberate and
reemploy?  That would be great.

Finally, I've have ordered the prothane bushings for the upper wishbone
arms, new Koni shocks and shock bushings. Spring pads are also shot.
Looking at the picture in the manual, it appears that the other bushings
are steel and /or nylon, so shouldn't need replacement. Do you agree
with that?

Many thanks .....John Howard