Re: TR6 hardtop

To: cfrazer@ballmer.uoregon.edu
Subject: Re: TR6 hardtop
From: Joseph J Burlein <tr6guy@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 23:00:03 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
All of the parts should be available from TRF or Rimmer Brothers.  Having
seen both headliner kits, the one from TRF was better (IMHO).  Just be
sure to check all the parts first.  The shorted me the two side deck
pieces and the back deck piece was too short.  But, to their credit,
Charles called me back to ask what was wrong and I explained that the
piece was about an inch to short front to back.  He had a new one made
and overnighted to me.  The seals MAY be available from TRF, but when I
got mine, I had to call around for NOS ones because no one had them.
Rimmer may stock those also.  Don't forget the little buffer pads (from
TRF) under the rivets on the back deck.  If you do, you may scratch the
paint on the deck lid.

Sorry can't tell how easy the headlinner would be to install.  I just had
my top done, but sent it out for paint and headliner installation.  I
didn't want to try it myself.

BTW, my original headliner went out in the same place as yours.

If you haven't ordered it, get the Triumph installation sheet from TRF
for free.  If they don't carry it anymore, get a hold of me and I will
make a copy for you.  Goes through all the steps (minus the little buffer
pads) for putting a top together from scratch.

Joe

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 16:23:17 -0800 Charlie Frazer
<cfrazer@ballmer.uoregon.edu> writes:

> I'm new to the list, so forgive me if this question has been
> answered
> before.
> I'd like to refurbish a TR6 hardtop.  The top is complete and
> functional
> now, but a little ratty.  The headliner is stained and pulled out
> above the
> rear window.  There's overspray on the quarterlight window seals and
> the
> rubber pads that support the top where it sits on the rear deck are
> deteriorated.
> Does anyone have any advice on sources for parts or on either DIY or
> professional restoration?
> Thanks,
> Charlie Frazer

Joe Burlein
72 TR-6
Melbourne, FL

Real cars are designed to carry only two people, anything else is just a
bus.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!