Re: Spring vs. Diaphram Clutch

To: mark@basecamp.mv.com
Subject: Re: Spring vs. Diaphram Clutch
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 12:46:53 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I have another note I sent to you along with one from Randall...

Qualifier that I missed...sorry....and just went through this with some other
folks...All of my diaphragm clutch uses and conversions have been with older
diaphragm clutch assemblies.

It has been pointed out to me (by LBC shop with experience) that B & B made
some engineering changes, a few years ago, to make the unit common to other
applications...common to companies wanting to reduce part numbers as cost
reduction.

The newer B & B diaphragms have curved release fingers as opposed to
relatively flat fingers. Apparently this has not very well at all in TR6s.

Based on what I hear, I would stay away from this newer B & B configuration.
I have run the 'old style'  diaphragm type on converted flywheel on races
tracks around the country since 1992.

I have also seen my race friends use the spring and finger type with no
apparent difficulty. If this a street car, it might be just easier for you to
stick with your stock components...in some cases, it can be an economic
decision as the diaphragm stuff is far cheaper than the older finger style.

Keep it simple, I'd say.

I hope I havnt confused everyone. Someone else ought jump and support or
refute...this is a good thread if we can keep all of the facts and condition
correct...again hopefully someone will make a tech article out of this for
the VTR magazine.

Another alternative is to send your existing unit to a place like
ClutchMasters for a rebuild...but that is another story...I know their work
and can recommend them.

Joe
<< Joe - Over the past few months, I've seen where you've expressed a
 preference for the diaphragm clutch introduced with the 4A. B.Piggott's book
 indicated this change as being a retrograde step; the older spring clutch
 not as prone to slip as the lighter pedal pressure diaphragm variety. I'm
 reaching the point where I've got to decide which way to go. Will you give
 me a hand & explain your preference?

 Thanks,

 Mark Meany
 Keene, NH