Frozen clutch & lost key

To: "Chris Wilson" <chris.wilson@rcn.com>
Subject: Frozen clutch & lost key
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 10:04:57 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Chris Wilson"
>I lost my keys!  Well after the clutch froze and I starting working on the
body - I lost the keys.  The door keys have been replaced as the cylinders
have numbers - but the ignition is another story.  Has anyone every
replaced
the ignition (steering column lock) set?  I cringe when I read the factory
manual about "backing out the shear bolts" - any tips?
<

Chris

The steering lock cylinder is held in place with two "break-away" screws
who's heads are broken off after installation.  You can cut some slots into
the now featureless heads using a Dremel (R) tool and a cut off wheel and
remove the screws with a flat blade screwdriver.  Then you can take the
whole thing to a locksmith who can make new keys.

You can put the lock cylinder back with regular fasteners for future
convenience. (Don't worry about theft.  The only folks steeling these cars
won't be detered by the steering lock anyway)

Dave