Re: Front calipers -- stuck

Subject: Re: Front calipers -- stuck
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 22:41:41 -0800
Cc: Triumph Mail List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Ed :

Some other suggestions I haven't seen yet :

1) Connect the stuck caliper up to the car's brake system (either in or
out of the car), fill with fluif and pump up the pedal.  It will easily
generate far more than 80 psi.  Of course, you'll have to refill and
bleed the car afterwards.

2) Adapt a grease zerk to the caliper hydraulic fitting, and use your
grease gun to pump it full of grease.  A common hand grease gun will
easily generate 1000 psi, but it does make a terrible mess in the
caliper bores, that must be competely cleaned out.  A plus of this
method is that the pistons don't try to fly around.

3) Fill the inside of the caliper as much as possible with some highly
volatile (but preferably non-flammable) fluid (like brake cleaner), then
block off the fitting and heat the caliper with a propane torch.  Tends
to be exciting (especially if your brake cleaner turns out to be
flammable).

4) After the first piston comes loose, clean it up, lube with a little
brake fluid and press it back into the caliper.  I use two lengths of
1x2 lumber and a pair of C-clamps to hold it there.  After you get the
second piston unstuck, the first can usually be pried out with a pair of
screwdrivers in the dust seal slot.

Randall