Re: philosphy (way too long a resonse)

To: kengano@mcleodusa.net, Herald948@aol.com, DeWetC1@sapo.co.za, spitfire4@ix.netcom.com, t_c_wilson@bigfoot.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com
Subject: Re: philosphy (way too long a resonse)
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 02:14:50 FILETIME=[CAD3B750:01C06FAA]
>From: "Ken Gano" <kengano@mcleodusa.net>
>To: <Herald948@aol.com>, <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>, <spitfire4@ix.netcom.com>,
><t_c_wilson@bigfoot.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
><spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com>
>Subject: philosphy
>Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 13:48:50 -0600
>
>Andy and other:
>
>I composed this a week or so ago and never got around to sending.
>
>Andy:
>
>I am real curious as to where you come down personally on the "replica vs.
>original" argument.  I have been following an ongoing discussion in the
>British magazine Sports Cars and Classic's about a brew ha ha at the
>Goodwood Festival of Speed last year where the authorities not allow an
>exact replica to compete.  It was a typically British understatement, but
>the gist was that replicas and originals are not the same car.
>
>For the record, all of my cars are highly personalized, so I am not asking
>which wins the concourse, but rather is recreating a historical automobile
>is a legitimate endeavor?  I believe firmly that it is but I hear the
>argument of museums and vintage race events that the recreation should not
>compete with the original.  Apple and Oranges, improved manufacturing
>techniques, etc.  I certainly am not asking the VTR opinion, but rather
>personal.  If you build a replica, do you really have anything when your
>done?
>
>My $0.02 (for whomever asked the original question :)) is GO FOR IT.  Even
>partial recreation would be cool.
>
>Ken Gano

   This is an interesting question... It has been surfing around the
   Vintage race circles for many many years.

   At what point does the original become the replica?

   A not so hypothetical:

   The engine and drive train of a famous Ferrari are found languishing
   in a warehouse. Someone with money, ("Mr. A") buys the remains and
   constructs a frame and body (using Ferrari's exact plans) to go with
   the running parts. Is this Ferrari "THE" car?

   To continue: Let's say there's a museum in oh, Slobovia or somewhere,
   has the frame and body of the same "Famous Ferrari", it's been
   forgotten in the archives (read: "cellar") of the museum for over
   35 years. The car was too badly damaged (piloti "Scungarelli" Wrapped
   it around a tree). When the museum received the remains it was too
   costly to rebuild.

   Enter "Mr. B". B who buys the remains from the museum. B (with great
   wads of cash) sends the car to a restorer who rebuilds the car,
   taking a totally correct engine and drive train from a contemporary
   but not nearly as "IMPORTANT" Ferrari. When the restoration is
   completed, does HE have "THE" car?

   To tell the truth... I don't know. Back a few years ago I overheard
   someone at the BRIC at Road America quip about there being all 32 of
   the 28 McLarens that were ever made at that event.

   We have gotten to the point that some cars have become so valuable
   that it's more cost effective to recreate the car rather that buy an
   original. Case in point, the Proteus C Type Jaguar can be purchased
   for about $40,000 (sans engine). The experts consider its every bit
   as good as the original. And ONLY an expert can tell the Proteus from
   the real McGuffin if someone takes the time to disguise the fact.

   It doesnt stop there.  Hell, if I had the $250K, Id buy the replica
   `29 4.5 litre blown Bentley Lemans that Continental Motors in Chicago
   was showing at the Des Plaines show last fall. With contemporary
   replicas (yeah, they were making LeMans replica Bentleys way back in
   the 30s) going for at least twice that amount, and the originals
   (if you could find one) in the millions, who wouldnt?

   The Key is not to pass a replica off as an original. Also if a
   sanctioning body "ONLY WANTS ORIGINAL CARS" and chooses to reject
   either of the above Ferraris they should be free to do so. The owners
   of either car should not whine if either or both cars are rejected,
   Caveat Emptor... No?

   Of Course, this will probably never happen to we TR folks.

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)