RE: TR6: J-type overdrive

To: "Bowen, Patrick" <pbowen@intellinetics.com>
Subject: RE: TR6: J-type overdrive
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:18:20 -0500
Cc: Paul Mitchell <paul-m@mweb.co.za>, "'David Massey'" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Bowen, Patrick"
> your problems seems to be pretty simple.  The switch that sits on top
of your tranny, is your lockout switch that keeps you from engaging
overdrive in 1st and 2nd.  This is widely believed to be bad to do,
however,
this too is a hotly contested theory.  Your wiring should connect in serial
to this, probably on way to the gear shift switch.
<

The problem with using O/D in 1st and 2nd is that the engine torque
multiplied by 2nd and especially 1st gear may be enough to overcome the O/D
clutch causing it to wear and fail.  Additionally, if the O/D were not
locked out it could be engaged in reverse which stresses the one-way sprag
clutch which will likely fail inder heavy throttle applications.

 When I first converted my transmission to O/D (J-type) I installed both
switches and had overdrive in 2nd, 3rd and 4th.  Although I had no problems
with slippage, I found that the engagement time (remember, the J-type has
no accumulator and engagement time is porportional to road speed) meant
that I had to anticipate and switch early, and I also found that the gear
ratio of 2nd O/D to be near enough identical to 3rd direct as to be
redundant.  The same is true for 3rd O/D and 4th direct.

I eventually disconnected the 2nd gear switch and now only have one
redundancy (although it is convenient at times).

Dave