TR6 - Body off vote results

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 - Body off vote results
From: Richard.R.Olson@tc.faa.gov (Richard R Olson)
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 16:40:30 -0500
     Well, in a nutshell, there were 3 NO, 1 YES and 1 'other' votes.
     Sheesh, it's almost as confusing as Florida!

     Notes:
     1. The lone YES vote was emphatic about the ease for access to the
     whole car.  I can't disagree, but I know that easy access is a sure
     path to shipwrights.

     2. Two NO votes basically agreed that considering the shape of the
     car, and only for painting, the time and work involved in a body
     off wasn't justified.

     3. An excellent comment: "Driving a good car is better than
     building a great car."  Mostly in reference to those who start out
     with an image of what they want their car to be, and not realizing
     it might be 2, 3+ YEARS and a lot of work, before they're done.
     (I'm looking at 6 months, tops.)

     4. The other vote was "sell the car, look for one in good shape
     that's already the color you want.  That's pretty much what I did 5
     years ago (it was a fair priced, very good mechanicals/body, and
     the only area that didn't meet my criteria was the color.)

     5. I guess I should have been a little more clear about my goal:
     I'm looking for a solid daily driver, plan to put about 5-6K miles
     on the car each year, no strong interest in concours, just want a
     nice clean ride.
     So, unless I really get motivated, the body stays on, and I'll be
     doing the 'fix a little, drive a little' rolling resto thing,
     because, even in the winter, I love to drive this car!

     Thanks to all who participated,
     RickO, 'knee deep in sandblast media (doing all those little front
     end pieces)'