Re: TR4 Steering / ignition lock (long)

To: jholekamp@attglobal.net
Subject: Re: TR4 Steering / ignition lock (long)
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:59:30 -0500
Cc: CarlSereda@aol.com, TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
"James R. Holekamp" wrote:

> Brian,
> My '64 TR4 [CT38895/LO] has a German Manufacture steering column /
> ignition switch lock installed under the dash. When I bought the car in
> Germany in '67, and for many years after, I thought the lock had been
> added either by the German dealer or the previous owner since there was
> an empty hole where the ignition switch/lock normally resides. When I
> finally got a BMIHT build record a few years ago I was surprised to find
> the steering column lock had been installed at the factory since it was
> mentioned on the certificate. (no mention of the empty hole! - since
> used to mount a 4 way hazard flasher device).
>
> About a year ago I exchanged some email with John Macartney about this
> lock arrangement and he wrote:
>
> "STEERING LOCK: This was available as an extra, but not line
> fitted if the car was going to a market where they were not
> a legal requirement. AFAIR, they were made by WASO, a German
> company and this would explain the German writing on the
> lock barrel. WASO locks were more often than not a standard
> fitting on Belgian built cars and it's clear some of those
> with Belgian origin have ended up in the States- e.g.
> Injected TR5's and 6's.  Hope this clarifies.  Jonmac"
>
> The only occasion I've had to look at this lock closely was during the
> restoration on my car 5 - 6 yrs ago. As best I remember, and it's been a
> while, the lock is mounted with a pair of screws designed to self
> destruct if removal is attempted - the lock was not removed from its
> mounting on the steering column! I don't know how to disassemble the
> lock cylinder.
>
> The original key to my lock is marked "Neiman, ser. no. 14231A". In the
> early 70's I had a duplicate key cut - blank is by Dominion Lock Co.
> (Canada) # H61 YR. Both these keys are now worn so thin that they are
> too fragile for ordinary use. Sometime in the 80's I had another key cut
> - blank is Taylor #X12. Several months ago I set out to have a second
> useful key made and no locksmith in my area (suburban Chicago) had or
> could (would) get the exact correct blank.  After a lot of messing
> around, an Ilco #NE9 blank was cut and I filed the thickness of the key
> tang somewhat to fit into the lock and function. I now have 2 useful
> keys.
>
> A year or so ago one of these locks (a NOS kit) came up for auction on
> eBay and as I recall it went for several hundred dollars - I was amazed
> at the time.
>
> I've never seen another TR4 fitted with a steering lock and it's
> interesting to me that you are involved with one - I assume it was
> originally delivered to Germany, etc.
>
> By the way, the DESMO badge/light bar you sent me early this year has
> been rechromed and I think it looks great on the front of my car with a
> pair of Lucas 576 lights plus VTR & TSOA badges.
>
> brgds, Jay

Thanks to Jay, Carl, and Andy for suggestions about the lock.  I've been
able to successfully get it off the steering column undamaged by removing
the 'destructive bolts', but can't see how to get the barrel out of the lock
without invasively grinding some peening at the back of the assembly.  I'm
hesitant to do this unless I hear from someone who has actually taken it
apart before.  In the meantime, Pete Groh offered some suggestions on trying
to identify the series for the keys.  Jay has also provided some info on
various key blanks to try.  Pete has quite a few master sets and if we can
establish what series it is, and he has that set, then it's just a matter of
trying each key on the master set until we find the one that fits.  Who
knows - stranger things have happened, right?

Cheers!

Brian Schlorff
Power British
http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars