TR6 body prep

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 body prep
From: KTnKT <ktnkt@cape.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:26:27 -0500
    Greetings All,
                       Moving right along on my rebuild project my
thoughts now turn to doing the body work. This isn't a frame up
restoration, but will be repainted. With all the advancements in paints,
primers, fillers and such, I'm wondering what my course of action should
be. Aside from welding in small patches on the panels for any holes, and
after spot blasting small dings and surface rust, what would the next
step be. I'm not taking the entire body down to bare metal, but
repairing the bad spots and sanding the rest, as the basic paint isn't
too bad. I hear of an epoxy being used as an alternative to welding that
is stronger than the steel itself. Would something like this be used
also as a light filler? I suppose what I'm after is a chain of events in
doing this work. Filler over the cleaned metal pitted areas first, or
primer first ? Can etching primer be used where their may be sanded
paint right next to it ? It's been a long time since I've done this, and
haven't a clue what the procedures are nowadays.......of course, I
haven't a clue about much else either. Any wisdom is appreciated. (about
the paint prep, anyways)
  Happy motoring,
       Kevin T
       1976 TR6 CF55588U, now with O and new engine innards. Oh, so
shiny....