scuba gear works! (plus some engine questions)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: scuba gear works! (plus some engine questions)
From: "Boothroyd, Frank" <Frank.Boothroyd@northatlantic.nf.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:20:02 -0330
Hi.  So there I was in the shed, looking for a nail-free 2x4 with which to
start whacking my oil pan off when I heard a thunk.  "Thunk" as many of you
probably know is the sound of a TR6 oil pan hitting the front cross frame
member.  The 22 lb scuba weight belt worked!  It took about 24 hours of
hanging there, but it worked.

So now for my serious questions.  I hope you folks don't mind, but I am
REALLY new at this mechanical stuff.

1.  Can I remove the main bearings and conrod bearings at the same time?  Or
does one have to be done first?

2.  What's a "journal"?  (Is it the slot/area/depression the bearings fit
into?).

3.  My factory manual warns "Do not permit the crankshaft to remain
unsupported for longer than is necessary [while the main bearings are
out]...".  Okay, fine.  But how do I support it?  Lord knows I'm supporting
it financially - I suspect that isn't enough, right?

4.  Oh [expletive deleted]!!!!  I almost forgot my most important question!
I FOUND METAL THINGS IN THE BOTTOM OF MY OIL PAN.  That's not a good sign is
it?  I can't take a picture of them (well, I could but it wouldn't do you
any good) but I can describe them so maybe someone out there will know what
it/they are?  Picture the shiny-silver wings of a delta-wing airplane.  Only
a LOT smaller (circa 1 inch tip to tip) and  there's a small cylinder-shaped
thing that goes in-between the wings.  I looked at the pictures in my manual
and parts catalogs to no avail.  Nothing looked like what I found.  There
were three wings and one cylinder in the oil pan.

Thanks for any help you can provide.  You folks have been a terrific help in
getting me this far with my restoration procedures.  So... ummm... PLEASE
DON'T STOP NOW!!!!!!
Cheers,
Frank
73 TR6 avec metal bits.