stuck oil pan

To: "Boothroyd, Frank" <Frank.Boothroyd@northatlantic.nf.ca>
Subject: stuck oil pan
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:08:38 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Boothroyd, Frank"
>And now my oil pan is stuck.  And I mean STUCK.  I've managed to wangle a
putty knife in and ease it along the front of the pan but that's it.  So
does anyone have any TOTT (yeah, I'm still stickin' with my acronym for
"Tricks Of The Trade") on how best to get the pan off? <

Frank,

I guess the "rope trick" won't work here.  You just have to be brutal with
it.  it can take a fair amount of abuse if you apply it in the proper
location.  I would use a couple of big screwdrivers working from the area
where you can fit the putty knife working toward the other end.  After a
little prying the pan will virtually pop off.  Then you can start scraping
off the remnants of the pan gasket.

Dave
St. Louis, MO, USA
57 TR3 (sans clutch)
71 TR6 (ready for it's long winter's nap)
80 TR8 (new heater core)