TR6 Windshield With Frame Removal

To: "INTERNET:AndyJS1@aol.com" <AndyJS1@aol.com>
Subject: TR6 Windshield With Frame Removal
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 23:41:22 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:AndyJS1@aol.com
>Other than a cutting torch, can anyone please share some ideas on how to
remove the windshield frame from the car?  I followed the Bentley manual
and
it looks like the mounting brackets stay on the car (loosened) and the
frame
should pull up from them.  Probably,  but I certainly hope not, the posts
are
rusted to the brackets.  I used a brass headed mallet to try to tap the
posts
out of the brackets to no visible effect.  Also, I ran a putty knife under
the seal and broke it loose.  So, that should not be a problem.  Thanks in
advance.
<

Andy,

Every time I have removed the windshield from this kind of car (TR4 - 6 are
all similar) it has been necessary to remove all the bolts from the
brackets and twist them to break the bond between the bracket and post.
The bond is due to the paint on the post still being soft when the
windshield is assembled to the car.  Rust has never been a problem for me
(at least there).  Sometimes you have to remove the air ducts to get at the
brackets.

Good Luck

Dave