Re: "Smokin" TR4

Subject: Re: "Smokin" TR4
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 10:33:25 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Gary :

I'm inclined to doubt the dampers, since they would most likely leak all
the time and hence be empty every time you let the engine sit
overnight.  Even if they leak only when the engine's running, the loss
of oil should be very obvious.

My guess would be worn intake valve guides, and a healthy oil supply to
the rockers.  The guides have manifold vacuum trying to pull the oil
through, and hence leak much more when vacuum is high, like idle or
during a shift.  If you have someone follow you, I'll bet they can see a
puff of smoke at every shift, too.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver