Re: TR6 Rear Hub Question

To: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu
Subject: Re: TR6 Rear Hub Question
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:37:05 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 15 Sep 2000 erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu wrote:

> Bob:

Yo.

> Sorry to be the bearer of bad tideings, but the most likely problem is
> that you have a worn rear hub spindle.

Well, I'll take my chances. I have an event this weekend and will know by
late Sunday if the axle will survive the last three events this year.

However, the car has a total of about 20 miles on it, so any damage to
the axle is likely pretty mild. Although I do tend to "toss the car
around", so to speak.

> The innermost bearing is spinning
> on the spindle, and has eaten into the spacer that sits between the
> tightening nut and the bearing.  You will need a new inner spindle, which
> is an integral part of the u-joint yolk, as well as a spacer.

I think the problem was that the nut backed off. I do not think the
spacer was effected, but I won't know for sure 'till I pull the whole
thing apart.

Needless to say - I have some work to do.

I also have to point out that I simply cannot replace this part, as the
hub face has been machined to accept huge wheel studs... so I'm trying to
"milk it" 'till I get a more permanent solution.

regards,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |