TR7 Front End Wobble

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR7 Front End Wobble
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 11:52:21 EDT
Hey gang,

A Triumph newbie here, so please excuse what are probably two simple
questions.

First, if I lift up the front end of my TR7, and grap each wheel at the 3:00
and 9:00 position and push/pull, I get a slight wobble.  If I grab them at
12:00 and 6:00 and do the same thing, no wobble.

So, is this acceptable, or is there some wear I should note, and "where" is
it?

Second, I have been agonizing over the correct tightness of the hub nut and
washer that holds the wheel/bearings in place.  The manual says torque to 60
inch/lbs. then back off one flat, but that seems really loose.  So I
tightened to about 50 inch/lbs, and made sure I could still move the washer
back and forth slightly by pushing at it with a screw driver -- an old VW
trick.

think that will work?

thanks for any/all advice.

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC