Re: Cost for bodywork

To: bstinocher@unipres.com
Subject: Re: Cost for bodywork
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 17:14:24 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
bstinocher@unipres.com wrote:
> Anyway, I had a guy come over and look at
> my bodywork. I thought I was about 95% done

  ...one thing that may be relevent, generally people
don't like to pick up on other people's bodywork. If I bought
a half-done project I'd want to strip it back anyways unless
I had total confidence that the work already done was to my
specs.

  I'd hate to spend months and thousands of dollars and then
find out that the lowest level of primer was the wrong
type and it's all for naught. This is doubly true for
a professional who is responsible for his work.

  For what it's worth, I did my MGB from scratch, painted
it myself in my garage, and so on. So I had done the
whole job myself from top to bottom and I knew what
was involved.

  When it came time to do my ZB Magnette, I wanted it
done by a shop because I wanted to use toxic paints
that would kill me, and also it was to be black and I
wanted the bodywork to be done to the highest standards
possible in budget.

  So I did all the welding and panelmaking, and delivered
the car to the shop. They stripped off all the rest of the
paint (and did one or two spot repairs that I missed because
they didn't look so bad until stripped), then grinded
and filled my weld seams, primed, and painted. That
cost me $2500 CDN, and it was a body shop owned by a very good
friend of mine so it likely would have cost more elsewhere
although I didn't seek quotes.

  The results are fantastic anyways, some pics here.

http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/magnette/magnette_restoration.html

  So, IMHO the price you were quoted sounds very fair
to me.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca