Re: Timing?

To: "Bryce Milton" <Bryce@Milton.com>, "Jim Davis" <jh_davis@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Timing?
From: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 23:09:39 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>

----- Original Message -----
From: Bryce Milton <Bryce@Milton.com>

>     Thanks for all of the prompt replies to my firing order inquiry!  The
> saga continues:  I suspect my timing marks are off as the car runs awful
at
> 4 degrees after TDC (doesn't run smooth without backfiring until the marks
> say 6 degrees before TDC)...  Measurements taken with vacuum advance hose
> removed.  I just came in to grab a coat hanger to try to verify my
marks...
> If the marks are right, what could I be doing wrong?

Not much. US spec cars were timed for emission control, not to run well. The
4 degrees after timing spec is correct for my 74 but I haven't had it there
for years, and the car passes emissions tests here. Go ahead and advance it
some.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U with A type o/d since 1983
TR4 VSDCA Group 2 #58 (Look for me near the back of the pack)
Highland Park, IL