TR6 brakes

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 brakes
From: fogbro1 <fogbro1@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 21:07:50 -0400

Observations: Substandard braking, lots of pedal effort with mediocre
results. Car does stop straight, no pulling to either side. Rotors were
too hot to touch after a test drive. Don't believe I could lock the
wheels. My TR3 stops twice as well, almost as well as my CRX.

Tests: Removed vacuum line to brake booster. Higher pedal effort.
Obviously the booster is assisting to (at least) some degree.

Questions:

1. Are vacuum assisted brakes prone to partial failure or is it a go,
no-go situation. In other words, since disabling the booster made a
significant difference, can I assume it's O.K. and go on to something
else?

2. My thoughts  tend toward pad material and/or glazed rotors. Anything
else I should be checking?

3. What vacuum level should I measure at idle? (1000rpm)

See you at Summer Party. Red '60 TR3 without front wing beading. List
sticker prominently displayed. Usually parked outside the Coventry Inn
if it's open.

TIA,

Ed Woods