Re: TR3 windscreen bottom seal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 windscreen bottom seal
From: "Roger Colson" <sassamon@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 07:50:30 -0400
Michael,

Having just replaced my top and bottom seals, my memory is still fresh.

The stanchions need to be removed to get access to the holding
channels.
To remove the top seal I had to cut it off in sections about 4 inches in
length.  Otherwise the hardened rubber would not make the bend at the
corner.
The bottom seal would not come off until I released the corner of the
frame.  The channel was covered at the end by the top frame member.

If doing this over I would notch the corner channels to allow the seals to
be replaced with out disassembly.

When installing I used "Palmolive" as a lubricant and centered the seal
and trimmed.

The biggest problem and what caused the project to stretch to 4 hours,
was that the screw heads for the corner brackets were not fully seated
in the countersinks.  They would not seat no matter what I tried.  In the
end I ground the heads to bevel them with the frame.  I also had
problems with the channel being deformed.  A quick grind cleared the
obstruction.

The proof that the seals work came last Sunday when I had to drive  in
the rain.  The cockpit top behind the windscreen stayed dry all the way.
Now if I can only get the top fitted...

Good luck,

Roger

Roger Colson