Re: TR4 - New Robbins Top - Fit Problems

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4 - New Robbins Top - Fit Problems
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 14:23:00 -0400
Brian Sanborn wrote:

> TR4 Listers,
>
> I am having a problem with a new Robbins top from TRF.  I
> installed the new Robbins tonneau cover with no problems and it
> looks great.  It's so nice to have new deep black flexible
> material again .
>
> The top seems to be cut wrong.  The first installation step was
> the front edge where it slides under the aluminum capping.  No
> matter how I go about it, there was not enough width across the
> front to reach snap-to-snap.
>
> If I take a flexible seamstress measuring tape and measure along
> the front roll surface of the capping from the center of the snap
> post to the center of the other snap post it is 43 1/4".  I
> measured my very old Amco top that fits OK and using the same
> flexible tape the distance from snap-to-snap along the front seam
> is 43 1/4" exactly.  When I measure the new Robbins top along the
> same seam from the spot where the snap should go... to the spot
> on the other side.... it is exactly 42 1/4".  The fact that it is
> off an "exact inch" make me believe it was cut wrong.
>
> In the early spring I called the TRF tech line and was assured
> that I should just wait for a hot day in summer and stretch it a
> bit.  No amount of stretching on a 92 degree hot in the sun would
> result in gaining anything like an inch... maybe a 1/16 or an
> 1/8"  There is double material and a seam binding with a pocket
> for the metal band that slips inside... no room for stretching.
>
> Need your help
>
> When and if it is convenient... would you mind making that
> measurement along front top of the cap, the part that rolls a
> bit, where the leading edge of the top sits... to see if you get
> the same 43 1/4".  You need a flexible tape measure to do it and
> lay the tape on the cap surface the same way as the top fabric
> would lay.  TRF will take the top back no doubt... but I really
> want one that fits and need to know if my car is normal or the
> top is defective.  TRF seems to think it's me and recommends that
> I go to a professional shop. I'm not put off by this
> suggestion... a lot of folks would rather leave it a shop.  So...
> I stopped in at the local auto interior shop that has helped me
> with my interior this winter and he agrees that the top seems to
> have been cut 1" short across the front.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Brian Sanborn
> 62 TR4  CT16260L - Groton, MA
>
> My TR4 Restoration Web Site
> http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn/Home.html
> E-Mail: sanborn@net1plus.com

Hi Brian,

I have two Robbins TR-4 tops in stock here and I just checked both of
them (yes, I'm at work on a Sunday :-(    - while I had to use a tape
measure instead of a seamstress tape, I believe they come up about 42
1/4".  We just fitted one about two month's back without difficulty
and I loosely measured a header cap on a parts car here and measure
it up at about 42 odd inches as well.  If you still need help, I
currently have an old AMCO top on my '64 at home.  I'd be happy to
check it for you tonight if you want - let me know.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff
Power British
http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars