Re: charging/starting/nothing

To: "John Summers" <trumpet@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: charging/starting/nothing
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 20:11:56 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi John
This sounds like an accumulation of problems. First I think you have been
told (was it you) about the resistance wire and shortening it. it could be
that this is part of the running problem.
The starting thing seems that it is either the solenoid or the brushes on
the starter, both can give this symptom, the main contact inside the
solenoid becomes burnt from the arcing that would occur from making and
breaking high current connections, giving a bad connection. The brushes in
the starter wear down and don't make sufficiently good connection with the
commutator thus causing the slow rotation.
The last sounds like the first symptoms of the alternator giving in. If the
voltage stays continuously at 15 volts stop as soon as possible to avoid
frying the battery. Of course the alternator playing up could also cause the
starting problems as a good battery will "recover" as it is used, ( I went
to a club camping weekend and used the 400 Watts* of headlight fitted to my
MKI to illuminate the erection of a tent, after the lights turned to glowing
wires with less output than a couple of candles I turned them off, and got
the clicking noise when trying to start, about ten minutes later the battery
was no longer flat and achieved near normal cranking! and this from a cheap
Hancook battery.
Yes 400 Watts is not legal, requires relays, gives daylight driving
conditions at night and people don't forget to dip their lights after you
flash them!

Graham.
2500 PI MKII
Sprinted Dolomite