Difference between gearboxes

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Difference between gearboxes
From: "econrad" <econrad@teal.csn.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 17:21:19 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
List members,
I need some advice.  I'm considering purchasing a Triumph 2000 / 2500 Saloon
gearbox and overdrive.  My concerns are that these 'boxes might not be a
"bolt-on and drive" choice.  My aim is specifically to acquire a J-type
overdrive for my '76 TR6.

Issues I've heard might be a problem are:  1) the mounting bracket holes to
mount the OD to the frame, 2) different speedo gearing issues (????), and 3)
different input shaft sizes (although I'm not sure whether this is the
transmission input shaft, or the shaft to first gear).  My original gearbox
works well, but I want to add OD.

What thoughts do you have, keeping in mind that I'm not willing to re-weld,
or change the frame in any way.  I've already passed the welding phase, and
don't want to have to go backward to move forward.  :)

Thank you,

Eric Conrad
Denver, CO
econrad@teal.csn.net