Generator and clutch problems

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Generator and clutch problems
From: Dennis Lambert <DLambert@anaheim.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 08:39:59 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
I finally got the wiring (mostly) and plumbing done on my '61 TR-3A.  After
bleeding the clutch and brake systems, I started the car last night (it's
still on jackstands in the garage).  Two problems have surfaced:

1) When I engage the clutch and try to shift, I get lots of grinding from
the tranny and resistance at the shift lever.  It feels as if the clutch is
not disengaging fully.  If I pump the clutch a couple of times, I get smooth
shifts, but I have to pump about two of three times per shift.  Do I just
need to bleed the clutch system again?  I,m using DOT5 fluid.  I have the
slave cylinder push rod adjusted almost all the way out.  Is there a spec on
the actual travel distance of the clutch lever?

2) The red dash light won't go out.  I checked voltage at the control box
'D' terminal, and got about 2.3 to 2.6 volts, regardless of RPM.  I then
disconnected the 'D' lead at the generator and measured voltage there.   I
got 4.1 to 5.8 volts, regardless of RPM.  I suspect a bad generator.  The
generator is a freshly rebuilt unit (two years ago, but I'm just now
beginning to run the engine) from one of the big three, but I guess it will
have to go back; just one more small bump in the road (sigh).

As usual, thanks for your collective wisdom and experience.

Dennis