It's a leaner...

To: thom kuby <thomkuby@iwvisp.com>
Subject: It's a leaner...
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 11:16:52 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <british-cars@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <ednelson@ridgenet.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by thom kuby
understand that the PO drove this car hard, and off the highway, through
the mojave desert, where I live.

But...aside from the wheel/tire factor, I have noticed something else just
looking at the car tonight...

This thing LEANS...to the left (pass side).  Not much, but its' there.

My questions are:
1. bad spring? and would this contribute to shimmy'ing?  I did NOT replace
the springs on this job.
2. I put oem front shocks back on it...should I have gone with Konis?
again, are these shocks junk? and would contribute to this problem?
3. or, are these cars THAT squirrely to begin with? (I would  find that
hard to believe...)
I set the front-end toe, camber, according to the numbers in the manual
(I'm using the Bentley repro of the factory pub.).
4. Are these numbers correct?
5. are some other tricks to getting this geometry right?
6. Is there a quick way to determine if the frame itself is tweaked up?

Any comments?
please help...we're getting closer to getting this thing resolved and this
list has been a huge help.  Please remember-we have STEEL wheels on it, not
wires.

Again, the car's owner and I thank you in advance...

Cheers
Thom Kuby
Porsche freak, with a TR3 in his garage

<

Thom,

Shocks do nothing for lean.  They don't cause it and they won't correct it.

Springs can cause lean but so can a number of other things.  To check for
frame warpage (a quick check) measure the distance to ground at a couple of
points and compare right to left.  For example measure frame to ground at
the front suspension front pivot right and left and then rear spring front
shackle right and left.  If the frame is not twisted the difference right
and left will be the same.

To check for racking measure two diagonals, right front to left rear and
left front to right rear.  These measurements should be the same.

If the frame checks out then visually inspect the rubber suspension
bushings to see if the pivot bolts are still centered.  A deforming bushing
can cause the car to lean.

If all this checks out check the springs.

Dave