Re: TR4 O/D ball size

To: Nyberg Peter <Peter.Nyberg@lio.se>, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 O/D ball size
From: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 08:09:02 -0500
You're welcome, Peter. However, I don't think you should use a ball that's
too large either. It fits into a seat that's machined in the OD case itself
- sort of a countersunk depression. That seat is designed to accept a ball
of .3125" (5/16"). I don't know what happens when you seat (tap with a
copper drift) a larger ball into a smaller seat, but I doubt it's a good
idea.

I don't know this, but I assume this ball is nothing more than a stock ball
bearing (anyone out there know this?) and if so, should be readily
available. I found a whole box of them at a Sears hardware store. If it were
me, I think I'd hold out until I found one the correct size. Good luck!

Michael Ferguson
1959 TR3A  TS53990L...O!