RE: starting a new 6 engine

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: starting a new 6 engine
From: "G Spencer" <graham_spens@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 17:30:33 GMT
OK, now I'm beginning to see.  I set the timing staticly by turning the
engine over (while it was out of the car) unitll I felt air coming OUT of
the spark plug hole then placed a "stick" in the plug hole to find TDC
(which was about 12 deg BTC).  I then lined the dizzy rotor up exactly with
the #1 wire in the rotor. So far am I right?
  As I tried to start the engine up, I second guessed myself, and took the
valve cover off, and watched the valves on #1 (assuming that intake is
closest to the front of the car and opens first) I waited for #1 to open
then close, thinking that the firing should happen then, just before the
exaust opens and rotated the dizzy until it was lined up with #1 then, this
I take is is WRONG.  Should I just go back to where it was, or was I wrong
there also?

Thanks a lot,
graham