Gearbox Install

To: "Michael Ferguson" <fergie@ntplx.net>
Subject: Gearbox Install
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 08:48:18 -0400
Cc: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "Michael Ferguson"
>Also, in order to be able to pull the old gearbox far enough to the rear
remove it, I removed the driveshaft from both ends and dropped it out of
the
way. When I removed it from the diff flange, I got a cup of diff oil all
over my hands! Guess I need a new oil seal, huh?

Anyway, the question is...is it as difficult to remove the front diff seal
as it was to remove the rear gearbox seal? If so, I don't relish the
thought
of doing that job while flat on my back under the car. I suspect the seal's
been there since 1959 so maybe it's so far gone it'll just fall out!? Yeah,
right! Your thoughts?

As always, thanks for your time and expertise. Hope to be back on the road
soon, but it's always something.

Michael Ferguson
1959 TR3A  TS53990L (soon to be "O")

<

Michael,

Did the seal mark its territory before?  If not the seal is OK.  Oil is
migrating down the splines and past the flat washer and nut.  A new seal
won't stop this.

Dave