Re: Gearbox Install

To: fergie@ntplx.net
Subject: Re: Gearbox Install
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 21:07:13 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 4/23/00 8:09:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, fergie@ntplx.net
writes:

<< Finally getting around to installing my A-Type OD gearbox. I REALLY hope
 this thing works, cause I sure don't want to pull it out again to put the
 old one back! Couple of questions...

Why Not check it out before you install it? Very easy all you need is a 1/2"
drill.

 I have three throwout bearings. As far as I know there is nothing wrong with
 the one that was in the old box, but it does rattle when I shake it. Is this
 normal? Also, the face of the bearing (clutch side) is flat. One of my two
 "spares" is also flat, but the other one is curved...convex curve toward the
 clutch. Both flat ones rattle, the curved one does not. Are these
 interchangeable? If so, since the curved one doesn't rattle, should I use it
 instead of the flat one?

I think the flat ones are newer. I don't think it's a good idea to use any
bearing that exhibits any play or rattle! I don't think I would use any of
them.

 Also, in order to be able to pull the old gearbox far enough to the rear to
 remove it, I removed the driveshaft from both ends and dropped it out of the
 way. When I removed it from the diff flange, I got a cup of diff oil all
 over my hands! Guess I need a new oil seal, huh?

Actually, no. The oil inside the flange joint must have got there by leaking
between the pinion and the flange itself. The seal works on the outside of
the flange. Make sure there's a washer between the nut and the diff flange. I
doubt the oil came out of your prop shaft. If your diff wasn't leaking before
at the front seal, you can probably get away with leaving it alone, for now.
YMMV

 Anyway, the question is...is it as difficult to remove the front diff seal
 as it was to remove the rear gearbox seal? If so, I don't relish the thought
 of doing that job while flat on my back under the car. I suspect the seal's
 been there since 1959 so maybe it's so far gone it'll just fall out!? Yeah,
 right! Your thoughts?
It's worse, but not a whole lot.

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A