TR6 Sway Bar bushings?

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Sway Bar bushings?
From: levilevi@home.com
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 21:33:34 -0600
Listers,

I went to put my sway bar back on with the poly bushings that I got from
BPNW for both the u-bolts in the middle of the sway bar and at the links
at the ends of the sway bar.  I'm replacing the old rubber bushings.

What came off the link at the end of the sway bar was (in order from the
bottom of the link to the bottom) the nylock nut, a washer, a rubber
bushing, another washer with a lip that fits inside of the hole on the
end of the sway bar, then the sway bar, then another washer with a lip,
another rubber bushing, and a washer.  Inside the rubber bushings was a
metal sleeve (the distance peice).

The problem is the poly bushings are not the same as the rubber ones
that came out and if I use all the washers with the poly bushings then
the whole thing is too long and I can't begin to get the nylock nut
started.

The poly bushings have a lip and are that thickness bigger than the
rubber bushings (that have no lip).  The lip on the bushing is the same
size as the lip on the washer that fits into the hole in the sway bar so
I'm wondering if I can leave the metal washers out on both sides of the
sway bar and just use the two poly bushings since they fit into the hole
of the sway bar just like the metal washers and the sleeve (distance
piece) fits inside them.

If I stack them up side by side the poly bushing with its lip is exactly
the same length as the old rubber bushing plus the washer with it's lip.
So if I leave the two metal washers that were next to the sway bar out
then I'll have an assembly that's the same length and I'll be able to
get the whole thing back on the link and get the nylock nut started.

I'm guessing that the function of the lip on the poly bushing is the
same as the function of the lip on the washer...that is to keep the link
center in the hole in the end of the sway bar.

Has anyone else had to make a similiar decision with poly bushings?  Has
anyone left out the metal washers and just used the bushings next to the
sway bar?  Any theories, suggestions, cautions?  Guess I can just try it
and see how it works

Thanks in advance
Bud Rolofson